Saturday, April 26, 2008

Primal Wound.....Not For Me

I'm an adopted child.

I was given up for adoption and placed with a foster family for 6 weeks. My parents got "the call" about a little girl who was available. They were on their way the very next day to pick me up. My dad, a teacher, ran around the top of the gym in his school because he was so very excited about getting a baby girl.

That is the truth of my birth. I do not know my birthmother. It was a closed adoption and I have very little information about her.

I came across this today and I must say that it really strikes a nerve. It is a book called "Primal Wound". I do not want to say anything about the woman who wrote this because I am sure she is a very nice person. But I wholeheartily disagree with her. I have not read the book but read her position.

In this statement she says that the truth is "Every adopted child will experience abandonment and loss". Really?

Because I have to say my whole life I've felt more wanted, more loved, more support than a lot of people I know. My parents desired me. My mother and father prayed countless hours for me. (And I sorta believe this is the reason for my struggle with thinking I'm so awesome.)

I fault my biological mother none for placing me for adoption. Not. One. Single. Bit. I am so very, very grateful for her decision. I have a special place in my heart for her, even though we have never met. She gave me life.

For someone to write generalizations like this is very frustrating. I did not, do not, will not ever feel abandoned. God has a specific purpose for my life and my adoption was all a part of that plan.

I understand that not everyone's adoption story has a happy ending. There are a lot of issues in adoption. It's not always poptarts and roses. But for me, I don't believe I was abandoned, I don't believe my birth was an accident, I don't believe I could have been parented better by my birth mother. I absolutely believe I was parented by my "real" parents. And I am not in denial about that. PLEASE!

4 comments:

Susan L. Prince said...

"Every adopted child will experience abandonment and loss".

I agree with you.

That statement is BUNK!

Well, then again, I did feel loss when my hampster Boo died. That was tragic.

Anonymous said...

I emailed the author and told her I disagreed with her statements. I am on track with Marcie. I do not think that all children experience abandoment and loss, unless they are older when seperated from the parents. Sometimes they are glad to get out of the bad situation.

Megan L Hutchings said...

Wow! I have quite a few friends who were adopted and they all tell me how blessed they feel to have been parented and loved by their parents.

You tell it how it is Marcie!

indyhumes said...

I am sure your birthmom would feel so blessed herself in hearing this.