Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

So yesterday was Father's Day. And I don't know why Father's Day is so hard.

Two years ago on Father's Day, we were in the midst of infertility. I had started charting (don't worry....I won't go into detail about that!), and we were almost at the 2 year point of trying to conceive. We knew that the probability of there being a problem was high.

I was several days late with my monthly friend and my hopes were high. I knew we had timed things right. I was praying earnestly that maybe it worked. It didn't. And my monthly friend came with a vengence Father's Day morning. I layed in the bed and was a blubbering mess.

I should have taken that as a sign and just stayed at home in bed. But we couldn't because our niece was getting dedicated that Sunday and we needed, and wanted to be there for that. At our church they have baby dedication once a year on Father's Day.

Lucky us.

That year they also showed a slide show of all the children in the church with Andrew Peterson's song "Family Man" playing in the background. It was sweet, but I felt like it was a cruel joke. I couldn't hold it together. And I completely lost it when I looked over and saw Jamie wiping tears from his eyes. I was chewing gum and started crying so hard that I sucked it down my throat.

Precious memories. How they linger.

Thank the Lord we are in a much different place now. Although our circumstances haven't changed, God has really changed our hearts. We are indebted to His grace. We are in awe of His faithfullness.

But yesterday was another Father's Day, and another baby dedication. And I found myself crying again. Only silently this time, not hyperventalating and sucking gum down my throat. The truth is that it does make me sad. I can envision the father Jamie will be and it hurts that it is difficult. I see it in my mind, him holding an infant and looking at that child with awe. I know the kind of daddy he will be and yesterday was a painful reminder that our path is different.

Different is ok. Different is actually good because our God ordained it to be that way. But different sometimes stings.

As I sat in church, silently praying that I wouldn't fall a part, God spoke to me that I have MUCH reason to celebrate Father's Day. He is the ultimate Father. He is there to comfort us when we are crying so hard we suck gum down our throat. He is there to hold us when all our plans fall apart and tell us that His plans are best. He is there to correct us when we think we can control things. He is there to welcome us back when we realize we can't. He is there to listen when we have too many words of frustration. He is there to soothe us when all we can do is tell Him it hurts. He is good. He holds our hands as we sit silently crying on Father's Day. And he will share in our joy as we one day hold our sweet child.

6 comments:

Wander said...

Marcie,
I found your blog after reading @ Bring The Rain. I think you are precious, girl. I want you to know that I am praying for you as you travel this baby journey. God has not put this fire in your heart and forgot about you. He is amazing! He has big plans for you and I have a feeling.....it won't be much longer.
God - You are so smart. Help Marcie's heart to be patient and for her to do what she needs to do to be "ready"...cause we know...you are about to do something incredible! Amen!


I am new to the blog world. My hubby is working to put one together for me....can't wait.
I love it. It's still under construction.

Ps.
My best friend, Marilyn lives in Jackson TN. She is married to a pastor and has 2 sons attending Union. Hmmm...small world huh?

Wanda Galloway (Indiana)

Lori said...

Hey Marcie (and Jamie),
We love you guys. And all I can say is that the Lord brings you to mind so much to pray. And I will continue to do so!

Now...when are you two coming up here?

Lori and the Circus

indyhumes said...

Oh how I know your pain.....I don't have words really...just know that someone else understands and empathizes....and of course, HE understands completely

Megan L Hutchings said...

Sweet Marcie ~

What a honest post! I know that you & Jamie have been on quite a rollercoaster ride to become parents. I also know that you two are the type of people who can handle anything and have all faith in Him!

I will be praying for the two of you that your prayers are answered soon!!!

Marcie said...

thanks for all the sweet comments! They make my day :)

Anonymous said...

I can understand your feelings. Before we got Brian, I did not like to go anywhere on Mother's or Father's day. And if we did I ended up leaving the room. It is hard. But God our Father knows what is best and loves us. It is hard but someday the hurt will be gone.