Thursday, April 26, 2007

In a Perfect World

So, I don't think I have posted before on my utter hate for grocery shopping and all things Wal-Mart. I know that I shouldn't put hate out there, but let's face it, it is totally the truth. When I left my full time job to work part time and stay at home more, I realized that there was a whole new facet to this wife business. Taking care of the house, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping....I had never realized how involved this was. But, I was willing to take it on and dove in head first. And then, that lasted about a week. Because we all know that I am all about things not being an inconvenience to me.

So it has taken, you know, two years for me to balance it all out. I realized that in order for me to work part time and keep an organized house and a happy husband, it is much better for me to have a schedule and make lots of lists. Because I am nothing without my lists (and just as a side note, I do have very cute notepads which make the list writing all the more enjoyable). So you would think that in these two years grocery shopping would have found a comfortable place in my heart right alongside the laundry and cleaning and cooking. But, it most definitely has not.

I am trying to figure out why I hate this act. I have thrown around reasons and tried to make sense of the madness. One of the conclusions I have come to is this:

I have an unwanted dependence on Wal-Mart.

I mean, really, where else can I go to get chicken breasts, crackers, paper plates, deodorant, a dvd, a card for my mother, a bedspread, an oilchange, and a fan? And what about those prices? Nothing compares (a little shout out to Shenade O'Connor). But here is the thing, EACH and EVERY time I go to "the Wal-Marts" I come out completely frustrated. And as a typical rule, I like to avoid situations that make my face twitch. So, this is the conclusion that I have come to, I don't like grocery shopping because Sam Waldon had a great idea to include everything you would ever need into one huge store. And if it's everything I would ever need, it's everything tens of millions of people would ever need, which means all those people are in the same store as me all standing in the two lanes to check out. I mean, why have the other lanes if only two are going to be open?

So, I thought of a solution.

How great would it be if I could go online and buy all of my groceries and then have them delivered to my front door? This, my friends, would be heaven. But then as I thought about this perfect grocery shopping situation, it dawned on me, this is the exact reason that people in other countries hate us. Because we don't like being inconvenienced. So with all of that said, I realize my need to not be inconvenienced, but I so would grocery shop online if it was available. This is the land of opportunity. One of you three readers should really consider this profession of an online grocery store and delivery. I would be the first customer NO DOUBT about it!

11 comments:

indyhumes said...

That is actually available. I have heard of it.

ps We shop at Target.....it is a much more enjoyable environment and it is cheaper. We have done several experiments and each time we save 20-30 dollars.

Marcie said...

We don't have a super target. If we did, I would totally go. :)

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

I totally feel your Walmart hate! I always leave so mad and frustrated! I really wish that I didn't need to go there to save $.

Delaughter said...

What I would give for a Walmart.....(sigh)....since you did mention something about others in other countries I just had to comment. First I have to say you are hilarious and I'm so glad you are a friend to Hannah. About the inconvenience thing. Have you ever though of going on a mission trip to, say, maybe India??? :) I would so let you grocery shop for me, you know, just for your sake, so that you can enjoy walmart!! :) That goes for you too, Hannah.

Having said that, while in Jackson I disliked Walmart so much that I shopped at Kroger and we ate whatever were the Kroger specials. (They have some killer sales!) But with you having lists that won't work for you.... Then south Walmart came around and, living on that side of town, I drove down there and found it much more enjoyable. I'm afraid Walmart will be even more painful for me when we get back....I don't know, we'll see.

Your post has inspired me to blog about our shopping experience here...it is oh so different and on a bad "cultural" day can be quit testing. :)

Zeppie said...

I have acutally discussed a business plan with a friend of mine who likes to grocery shop. What a weirdo. Any how. We would take orders for groceries, shop for them, and deliver. So what would you be willing to pay for a service like that?

Melissa. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa. said...

It's the mass of people, it's only two open cashiers!! It's frustrating. You have to shop at inconvenient times like on Tuesday mornings, then there aren't too many people, but only one checkout line. It is just never good at Walmart!
When I lived in Chicago, and it was too cold to go shopping, I just logged onto www.peapod.com. I could even pick what time I wanted the groceries delivered, and that I wanted my strawberries a certain size, or small/large apples. Go look at the website, it was a blast to shop at midnight in your pajamas!! I miss it!! Go check out the website, make up a fake user name and password, have some fun, see what it is like to grocery shop online. I think you have to use a Chicagoland zip. Try 60185. Have fun!!

Nicole said...

Marcie - I don't know if you have a Harris Teeter or Plum Good Foods but they both have online grocery shopping. Harris Teeter lets you tell them what time you want to pick it up and it will be ready at the front for you and Plum Good Foods will actually deliver to you! We do live in an amazing world of convience

Unknown said...

I just have to post on this very relevant to my life topic. (Hi marcie, I'm Heidi, Hannah's sister) I am starting a new business...not new for America just for Jackson. But it does just what you are talking about here. People soon will be able to (in the 38305 and 38301 area codes) go online and order their grocery list at which point I will go to the store, get them and bring them to your house...for a small fee of course...but to all you who have fretted over this frequent inconvenience in your life...as solution has come to Jackson, TN!

Marcie said...

I commend you, Heidi, for taking on the task. Oh, if only I lived in those zip codes. Lucky for me I live in a place far, far, away from normal civilization.